Full overhaul, including major component re-manufacture, of over one hundred DA Rams.
Berendsen Fluid Power Newcastle was contracted by one of the Hunter Valley’s prominent underground coal miners to overhaul over one hundred DA Rams as part of a longwall upgrade.
The overhaul of the cylinders was conducted entirely in-house at our Newcastle Branch. The project was completed within 10 weeks and involved 15 staff from our engineering, fluid power and machining divisions.
What was involved?
- Prior to commencing the project, our engineers worked closely with the mine’s longwall department to understand their needs and budget constraints. Following this initial consultation a detailed work scope was developed for the project.
- Each cylinder was stripped in our workshop and the condition of individual components was
- Barrels, end caps, glands, pistons and port blocks for all 118 cylinders were manufactured in Berendsen’s state-of-the-art 3200m2 machining facility.
- After crack testing and straightening, the Nickel Chrome surface on each piston rod was refurbished as required.
- Linear transducers were tested in Berendsen’s purpose built test unit which automatically
produces a linear graph of the results of each test.
- After final assembly, the now fully refurbished cylinders were subjected to a full-function test carried out on our purpose built solscenic test unit.
- After painting and packaging, the cylinders were delivered to the client for reinstallation onto the longwall. Cylinders were delivered in batches according to a strict delivery schedule to ensure that downtime was kept to an absolute minimum.
The Result – Client Testimonal
When contacted a month after the rams went back into service the client advised that they were extremely happy with the outcome of the overhaul project. They commended our quality control procedures and our ability to meet the tight delivery schedule and were particularly impressed with the cost analysis utilised to determine whether components were re-used, repaired or replaced based on their condition. We understand that our customer has decided to adopt Berendsen’s proven methodology for future equipment overhauls.
Want to learn more about Berendsen Newcastle?
Backed by our Engineering & Design team, our ISO accredited manufacturing hub in Newcastle specialises in the design, manufacture and supply of hydraulic cylinders and manifolds for a wide range of applications. What sets us apart is our high-spec manufacturing capabilities with the use of CNC machinery that facilitates the repeatability, accuracy and speed needed to produce high quality components cost effectively.
Our branches Australia-wide are equipped with the expertise, equipment and infrastructure needed to carry out specialised hydraulic services such as equipment overhauls, cylinder repairs, pump and motor repairs and preventative maintenance. If you are looking for a customised hydraulic
solution to suit the needs of your business, contact Berendsen Fluid Power today on 1800 660 249.